Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pages 50-100

Shirkey talks about how the chasm between professional journalists/photographers and amateurs has mellowed into a slope from amateur to professional due to the ease of publishing information. Now, everyone is a media outlet. This is significant for our lives at the Academy because not only can the New London day publish bad news about the Academy, but any discontented cadet can blog about the Academy and what they don't like. This is true for any American business--they have to be wary of employees publishing inside information or information that would result in bad pr.

I thought Shirkey's definition of being famous was interesting: someone that is a recipient of more attention than they can return. Oprah can't reply to all of her fan mail by herself. That is the difference between the impact of the New York Times on American readers and my private blog. My audience my instructor an classmates, I can return all the attention my blog gets, so I am not famous. The New York Times coudld not reply to every comment made by all the readers accross America.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good statement about famous people, but I mean you are famous Adam, you're the 2010 class president. Everyone in our class knows you! However, if shirkey knows so much about using the internet to leverage popularity and society as a whole, why is his book a hardback and not an onlinebook available through Amazon?